Dental savings plans have been in the news lately as a trusted alternative to dental insurance. You may have heard that they can save you 50%* on your dental bills, and that there’s no limit on how often you can use them, or restrictions on getting treatment for current conditions. That’s all true.
So you’re probably wondering how much a dental savings plan cost.
Good news: dental savings plans are very affordable.
The dental savings plans available on DentalPlans.com start at $79 annually for an individual. Compare those prices to the typical cost of a basic individual dental insurance policy – $384* per year ($32 monthly payments for a DHMO (Dental Health Maintenance Organization) plan). For a family, the cost of dental insurance is around $600* annually ($50 per month, DHMO plan) compared to $250 for a dental savings plan. (Plan prices vary by location; you can use the calculator below to see the cost of the dental plans near you).
See how much you can save with a dental savings plan.Use our calculator below >
Dental Savings Plans vs. Dental Insurance
For those on Medicare or without employer-provided dental insurance, a savings plan is often a great option. It’s like paying out of pocket, except a small annual fee entitles you to significant savings on almost every procedure, right at the dentist.
Dental savings plans are an excellent choice if you need to lower the cost of expensive procedures, such as crowns, bridges, braces, implants, and dentures. Routine care, like check-ups and cleanings are usually discounted too. If you need more than preventive care, or already have a treatment plan, a dental savings plan can often provide the biggest savings because it has quick activation and no annual limits on how much you can save.
If your goal is to save on preventive care, dental insurance may be the perfect fit. You pay a monthly fee, and in exchange, your cleanings and check-ups are usually covered at 100%. Many other procedures are covered after a deductible and waiting periods, if applicable, are met, until you reach your annual maximum.
Dental insurance is likely to be right for you if your dental costs are minimal, and you don’t anticipate needing any restorative or cosmetic dental care.
How do dental savings plans work?
- Dental savings plan members report an average savings of 50%* on their dental care.
- As a plan member, you have access to a network of dentists who have agreed to offer reduced rates to plan members. You simply pay the reduced rate directly to the dentist. There’s no surprises, no preauthorization, and no paperwork to file.
- You can see any participating dentist or specialist across the nation. No referrals needed. You and your dentist are in control of your dental care.
- Dental savings plans have no annual caps, you can start saving on all included procedures as soon as your plan activates – within 72 hours. Emergency activation is also available on many plans.
- Already have dental health issues? You’ll be happy to know that, unlike dental insurance, there are no restrictions on obtaining care for issues you had prior to joining your dental savings plan.
- Plus, many of the plans on DentalPlans.com include additional savings on other wellness services, such as vision and hearing care, prescriptions, and more.
The best place to discover more about dental savings plans is DentalPlans.com, the largest dental plan marketplace with the biggest selection of dental plans. Whether you want to save on braces or root canals, dental implants or dentures, basic care or more complex treatments, there’s a plan for every budget and dental care need.
Ready to find your perfect plan? Reach out to our customer support team for a personalized plan recommendation or use the calculator below for a quick look at how much you can save.
* Discount Health Program consumer and provider surveys indicate average savings of 50%. Savings may vary by provider, location, and plan.
** Forbes Advisor analysis of dental insurance plans
*** DentalPlans.com procedure search tool