Save 10-60% on Your Dental Care. Join a Savings Plan Today!
Close X

1 Million+ Smiles Served Since 1999
Outstanding Customer Care
Plans Tailored to Fit Your Needs

you are > Dental Health Articles > How to optimize oral hygiene practices

How to optimize oral hygiene practices
Updated: 6/7/2011 4:59:59 PM

Brushing teeth may not be enough to thoroughly clean the mouth How can a person know if they are taking proper care of their smile? One way is to follow the guidelines set forth by professional organizations such as the American Dental Association. However, a recent article published by the Huffington Post highlighted several other oral hygiene practices that may help people avoid dental disease.

The newspaper reported that the average person spends only about one minute brushing their teeth during each cleaning session, but this only removes 60 percent of the plaque that exists in one's mouth. Therefore, the news provider recommended that individuals aim to brush for at least two minutes, starting with the areas that are closest to their tongues, since these spaces are most likely to gather food debris and bacteria.

While cleaning teeth is important, these structures only make up about 20 percent of the mouth's surfaces, the news source explained. Antimicrobial mouth rinse can be swished around inside the mouth to reach and clean the other 80 percent of surface areas.

According to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, a total of 92 percent of adults between the ages of 20 and 64 have at least one cavity. This statistic highlights the need for improved dental hygiene among Americans.

For more information on discount dental plans call 1-888-632-5353

© 2011 Brafton Inc.


The materials and articles published on are for informational purposes only. Although strives to be accurate and complete, the information is provided without liability for errors. does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text graphics, links, or other items contained on expressly disclaims liability for errors or omissions in these materials and makes no commitment to update the information on expressly disclaims all liability for the use or interpretation by others of information on Decisions based on information contained on are the sole responsibility of the visitors, and visitors agree to hold and its Affiliates harmless against any claims for damages arising from decisions visitors make on such information.

Nothing on constitutes medical advice or other forms of advice. assumes no responsibility for material created or published by third parties linked to with or without’s knowledge.


Dental Care & Health Articles
AC Dental Care Articles (100)Affiliate Marketing (2)Affordable Care Act Articles (1)Audience (1)Bonding (2)Commentary (1)Cosmetic Dentristry (15)Dental (7)Dental Care News Feed (21)Dental Costs (5)Dental Health (21)Dental Insurance (1)Dental Plans (39)Dental Work (7)Dentist (19)Dentures (2)Individuals (484)Money (1)Oral Surgeon (1)Orthodontist (1)Pediatric Dentist (1)Procedures and Services (7)Surgery (1)Teeth Whitening/Bleaching (7)Unemployed (8)Veneers (1)
Special Offer

Take 15% off the price
of a dental savings plan.

Sign up below to receive your discount!